Final Reader’s Chair Script

Reading a variety of books is important because it keeps readers interested and introduces them to new genres of literature. Over the year Kate, Althea, and Emily have read a widespread selection of books. We have put together a list of ten book recommendations for 8th grade students.

The Princess Bride by William Goldman is a really unique, creative book. It is told as though what you are reading is a new edition of an ancient, long complicated history of a country, and even goes into detail on the fake author’s life. It has a lot of suspense and action, but is also hilarious and really romantic. It has something for everyone, so I would recommend it to anyone that wants to try something different!

The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan is the first book in a spin-off series of the Percy Jackson series. It is about three characters named Jason, Piper, and Leo, who are all demigods. One of their parents is human and the other is a Greek god. The three of them have to go on a quest to save Hera, the queen of the gods, who has been kidnapped. I would recommend it to people that like Greek mythology or the Percy Jackson series.

Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard is a book I recommend for girls. The series of books is based on solving one girl’s murder. Beware, once you read one of the books you won’t be able to stop! They are exciting and suspenseful although and fun books to read!

Saving Zoë by Alyson Noël takes place in modern times. It’s about the freshman year of a girl named Echo, whose older sister Zoë was murdered a year earlier. Echo is given her sister’s diary, and as she reads it, she becomes closer to her sister and closer to the truth about her death. I would recommend it to pretty much any girl, but it’s easier to relate to if you have a sibling.

Monsoon Summer by Mitali Perkins is a story about a girl named Jazz. She is dragged to India one summer against her will. Jazz is shy and doesn’t want to spend her entire summer volunteering with people she doesn’t even know. However the monsoon rains of India can change anything and Jazz begins to learn things about herself. I loved this book and would recommend it to any teenager.

The Daughters Break the Rules by Joanne Philbin is a story about three girls whose parents are famous.  They live in luxury but have connectible issues. I put it on my “want to read” list in the beginning of the year and I recommend any girl to do the same! It’s a fun story that weaves together three very different characters.

The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks is one of type few books I read that actually made me cry. The story is in turn romantic and sentimental, and brutal in its realistic plot line. It also describes a bit of what it is like to have a loved one with Alzheimer’s, which I thought was really interesting and made it stand out. I’d recommend this to anyone with a love of romance.

The Fool’s Girl by Celia Rees takes place in the 16th century. It is about a girl named Violetta whose country is attacked, and she escapes to London. There, she meets William Shakespeare. She tells him the story of how her parents met, and he uses it as the basis of his play Twelfth Night. I would recommend it to people that like historical fiction.

The Book Thief  by Markus Zusak is one of the best books I have ever read. It takes places in Nazi Germany, and focuses on a girl hiding a Jewish man in her basement. It is suspenseful and creative, and I absolutely loved it. It is really long and advanced, but worth all the work! I’d recommend it to anyone with the drive and the love of reading to tackle it.

Annexed by Sharon Dogar also takes place during the Holocaust.  It is about Peter van Pels, the boy who loved Anne Frank when they were in hiding together. They story is a fictional account of what Peter thought during the time Anne’s diary was written. I would recommend it to people that like Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl or people that are interested of the Holocaust.

These books are all very different but are all easily relatable to 8th grade students. Having read many different kinds of books will put you at an advantage throughout the year because you’ll be prepared for the reading material ahead. Hopefully, at least a few of these books interested you. Have a great year and keep reading.

Click here for our podcast: Emily Althea Kate

Picture from atlantaintownpaper.com